Monday, July 14, 2014

Window Slider Card

Hiya, Crafters! I hope everyone had a great weekend. We certainly did. We visited Prairieland Herbs Sample Sunday yesterday in Woodward. One of our friends own the shop their and we were able to look at their wares. She had a lot of handmade lip balms, soaps, fragrances, and hand dyed wool. She also had a few vendors there as well and we were able to find Ben's (my husband!) mother a gift for her birthday next month. One of these days when I have enough stock I'll ask if I can be a vendor there with my cards. DO you think that they are worth selling? That's a loaded question. For today's make I did a Window Slider Card from Dawn - she has great tutorials! They are easy to make and once you go through it once, they are able to be made quickly.


Here are the materials you'll need for this card:
  • Cardstock cut to 5 1/2 x 8 1/2" for the base of your card.
  • Cardstock for moving panel cut to 3 3/4 x 4 3/4 in coordinating or same color to base.
  • Cardstock cut to 2 2/8 x 4"
  • Paper trimmer
  • Scoring tool
  • Bone folder
  • Stamping and die cutting tools
  • 3D foam stickers (optional)
  • Ribbon or bakers twine
  • Hole punches (used here were 1" and 1/4")
Let's get started! Take your base cardstock longways and score at 1/2", then flip it 180 degrees and score again at 4 1/2". Flip it again so that the 1/2" score line is to the right of your cutting blade. (I turned my trimmer upside down so I could see what I was doing easier.) Line your card up at 7 1/4" and take your cutting blade drop it at the 3/4" mark on your trimmer arm and cut down to 4 3/4".


Move the paper to 4 3/4" and repeat by cutting from 3/4" down to 4 3/4".


Next take your 3 3/4 x 4 3/4" piece of cardstock and line it up at 2" and cut almost all the way through, but leave a bit still attached. It'll look something like this.


After that, you will slide the panel from under the cut marks and through again to the other side.


Flip the card over. You will want to take a piece of tape and tap the cut end of the cardstock to the other side. This is so that the card won't come apart when you slide the panel up and down. You can use sticky tape here too, just don't pull the back off. I used invisible tape. You can thank one of my cats for getting hair in it to see it. Sorta


Now your card should slide easily out and back in.


Next I took my 1" punch and lined it halfway through. Then I folded the card in half and lined it up against the first cut out. I flipped the inside panel up so I wouldn't cut it.


Now your card should look something like this. After this I made certain that my inside panel was centered between the score lines. I taped along the 1/2" flap and then along the edge that the panel doesn't slide over. (I would suggest that you close the card before the tape first so that you can burnish the edges with your bone folder for clean and crisp lines.) Fold the card in half and then fold the flap over.


After that I took my 2 3/8 x 4" piece of cardstock and rolled tape on the back. I gently slid it under the moving panel so that it was covered fully by the moving panel. Don't press don immediately! Slide your panel out and back to see if you need to adjust the cardstock underneath it. Once you have it where you want it, press down. It'll look something like this.


The rest is purely decoration and this is the point where you decide if you want the panel to slide from the side, the top, or from the bottom. I chose the top because the bottom did not work for the stamp set I used. Once you've stamped your images, take your 1/4" hole punch and punch in the middle of the open tab and tie your ribbon or bakers twine through so the receiver knows to pull on it.


That's it! What a fun card. You can also write your message on the remaining card when it's pulled out, or stamp a secret message. You can also stamp around the frame too. This was fun to make!  Let me know what you think in the comments below. Thanks for popping by, Crafters! See ya soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment