Friday, July 18, 2014

Something for Baby Heat Embossing

Hiya, Crafters! How is everyone today? I'm doing well. Yesterday a friend of mine had her first baby! They welcomed Millicent Jane into the world at 1:43 pm and is 8lb & 6 oz at 21 inches long! So naturally I had to make her a baby card! I found out what their nursery theme is and it's Winnie the Pooh. No surprise there. So I made Pooh and Piglet and you can view the tutorial here. In today's make I did a clear embossing technique and I'll show you how to do that.

Here are the materials that you'll need to make this card:
  • Cardstock cut to 6 1/2 x 10" for the base scored at 5"
  • Coordinating cardstock cut to 4 5/8 x 4 3/4"
  • Coordinating cardstock cut to 4 1/2 x 4 5/8"
  • Coordinating cardstock cut to 3 x 6"
  • Coordinating cardstock cut to 2 7/8  x 5 7/8"
  • Build an Owl Punch
  • Build a bird punch or leaf punch
  • Pink and black markers
  • Sponges
  • White gel pen
  • Versamark
  • Clear embossing powder
  • Heat tool.
  • Paper trimmer
  • Stamping and die cutting tools
Let's get started! The first thing I did was take out my versamark and clear embossing powder. I laid down another sheet of paper on top of my normal paper to catch the powder. I stamped my images on the paper as many as I liked only in the versamark. 

Versamark is sticky stuff so if you have a lot to stamp it will stay sticky long enough for you before you need to pour powder over it. My technique is to pour a thick line along the top and lift it upright to let the rest of the powder cascade down and cover the rest of the images. Watch where you grab, you don't want to accidentally smudge an image. Tap the back of your card to get excess powder off.

Now if the stamp grabbed ink where it wasn't supposed to, like a shadow, you can usually rub it off with a q-tip or your finger. Next you will need to use your heat gun to set the powder. Most embossing guns are pretty much the same. I don't notice a difference. I use Marvy brand. And they typically run you about $20.00. Embossing powder, on the other hand, can range from super crappy to really nice. I thought I was being economical when I got a bunch of embossing powders for a cheap price. The first time I used them, they didn't stick to the versamark ink and I had to keep tossing powder on it. Then when I took the embossing gun to it, the powder blew off and it didn't set nicely. I find that Recollections from Michaels is nice and does exactly what I expect.

Moving on. Once the gun is blowing air hot enough, set your powder. Don't get it too close, or keep it too far away. When the surface turns shiny your powder is set. You can also heat the cardstock from under the image. It supposedly set smoother, but I don't mind the texture I get from heating above the image. Some colors don't take so well to this technique. Here's what the card looks like embossed using only versamark and clear embossing powder.



Pretty slick, huh? Alright, so assemble your panels! If the 4 1/2 x 4 5/8 lines up funny just turn it 90 degrees. What I did next is faux stitching with a white gel pen. I just did dashes along the edges. When I came to an embossed image I skipped over it. It has a nice, but subtle effect.

All that's left for you to do is assemble Pooh and Piglet too, glue your panels down, and stamp out your sentiment. How cute is that?

What I used to make this card:

  • Pink, yellow, and purple cardstock from Michaels
  • Build and Owl punch from Stampin' Up!
  • Word Window punch from Stampin' Up!
  • Modern Label punch from Stampin' Up!
  • Secret Garden leaf die
  • Versamark
  • Recollection clear embossing powder
  • Regal Rose, More Mustard, and Real Red ink from Stampin' Up!
  • Something for Baby Stamp set from Stampin' Up!
  • Teeny Tiny Wishes from stamp set from Stampin' Up!
  • Quickutz in Lucy Font
I am not a Stampin' Up! demonstrator nor an affiliate of Stampin' Up! 

Hope you enjoyed today's tutorial. Thanks for popping by, Crafters! See you on Monday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment