Thursday, July 10, 2014

Card in a Box

Hiya, Crafters! I hope everyone is doing well today. Today's posting is on the back of bad news sadly. My husbands maternal grandmother has cancer that has spread to her brain and she is entering hospice. She was given a 6 month life expectancy when she was diagnosed with lung cancer 4 years ago. She's had a long and happy life. We wanted to send her something beautiful so I decided to send her a card in a box. I'll take you through the steps on how to make this amazing card.


Here's what you'll need:
  • Cardstock cut to 8 1/4 x 9" for the base of your card.
  • Coordinating card stock
  • Scoring board
  • Bone folder
  • Paper trimmer
  • Really good permanent glue
  • Stamping and die cutting tools
Let's get started. On your score board place your paper longways and score at 2 1/8", 4 2/4", 6 3/8", and 8 1/2". (as you can see I only have 3 markers so I had to improvise.)


Turn your paper 90 degrees and score once more at 2 3/4". Take your cardstock to your trimmer with the 8 1/4" side up and the 2 3/4" score line to the left, trim your paper down to 6".


Take the scrap you just created with the 2 3/4" score line on your left cut to 3 1/8". Take that piece and turn it 90 degrees and cut in half at 1 1/8". These will be your Z strips to hold the stuff you want popping out of your box. Do not discard them.


Take your base cardstock and you will trim the score lines on the smaller flaps only up to the intersecting line. You'll have a tab, cut that out as you won't need it.



Fold your score lines over to create a box. I taped the flap and then folded the card over and adhered it. Just make sure it's even and it will be fine. Fold all but one of the flaps back. You should have something like this.


Now the fun part! Tape up your Z strips and apply them at the back and the front inside of the box. It's really important you use tape that will hold up. I like to fold my box flat both ways and pressing on the sides to make sure they stick.



Next is just decoration, which actually takes me a lot longer than creating the box. The back of the card you can use to write a message or to "sign" your card. I personally write my message on the bottom of the box. Big handwriting. Anyway, here are the dimensions for the layers starting with the bottom layer first:

  • Back would be 5 7/8 x 2", and the layer would be 5 3/4 x 1 7/8". (Hers says 7/8" but that is too skinny for my tastes.)
  • The flaps would be 2 x 2 5/8"  and the layer would be 1 7/8 x 2 1/2" 
  • If you want to decorate the bottom of the box, the measurements would be 3 1/8 x 2" and the layer would be 3 x 1 7/8"
You will need something to use to glue on to stick up. In the past I used strips of scrap left over from the cardstock. This time I chose to use leaves. If you noticed, I was using the Flower Shop stamp set from Stampin' Up! and the coordinating pansy punch. It can be tricky to know where to stamp on your cardstock so you can punch it out without punching through a petal or having to cut down your cardstock so that the hole lines up with the image. I marked mine with a sharpie so that I know that is the bottom. You can tell the bottom apart by how it's displayed on the case. 


I like blending with sponges! So I just got some sponges and colored on my cardstock then stamped my image over the circle with black stazon ink. Always do lighter ink first. 

When you tape your cut outs into the box, start from the back first and work your way to the front staggering it lower as you go. You can put in as much or as little as you like. Decorating the flaps is optional. Be sure you have really good glue. I used to use Recollection double sided tape from Michael's. It didn't have that bottom hinge flap. It was awesome and the tape was really strong. They have since discontinued that and I feel like a sheet twisting in the wind! I made these boxes for mother's day for my mom and my MIL. Flowers fell off before they even got to them or just as they opened them. I was so disappointed! I've yet to find a suitable replacement. So I used liquid glue this time. Cross your fingers for me that it stays. Here's my finished product.




The materials I used were:
  • Violet Leaf DSP from DCWV
  • Flower Shop stamp set and coordinating pansy punch
  • Secret Garden leaf die
  • Modern Label punch
  • Word window punch
  • Teeny Tiny Wishes stamp set
  • Papillon Potpourri
  • Coordinating butterfly punches
  • StazOn Ink
  • Beautiful wings embosslits
  • Grass is Cottage Cutz
That's all she wrote. I hope you enjoyed this tutorial. Please let me know what you think in the comments. I read each and every one and appreciate your feedback. Thanks for popping by, Crafters! See ya soon.

2 comments:

  1. That looks neat. I'll have to try making one like this. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete