Friday, July 25, 2014

Building Block Card

Hiya, Crafters! Thanks for coming by. I hope everyone is doing well today. Sorry about the lack of a post for yesterday. I took the day off. ;) Today's card is for a 15 month old girl who is having surgery in Iowa City in September to re-plant her uterus higher on her bladder and I am sending her a get well card. This is a building block cad, not to be confused with the stair step card. I used this tutorial.




Here's what you'll need to make this card:

  • Cardstock cut to 5 1/2 x 10 1/2" for the base of your card.
  • Eight (8) pieces of coordinating cardstock cut to 7/8 x 1 3/8"
  • Two (2) pieces of coordinating cardstock cut to 2 x 5/2"
  • A piece of coordinating cardstock cut to 3 3/8 x 5 3/8"
  • Paper trimmer
  • Scoring tool
  • Pencil
  • Ruler
  • Bone Folder
  • Stamping and die cutting tools
Let's get started! Take your base cardstock and  score at 3 1/2" and 7".


You will mountain/valley fold your score lines. Next, we need to mark off on the back of the card where you are going to cut your lines for the blocks. Keep the card folded at the valley fold. Get out your ruler and your pencil. Mine has a bottle opener in it which came in handy when I was making tie blankets. Draw as straight as a line that you can starting at 3/8", 1 3/8", 1 5/8", 2 5/8", 2 7/8", 3 7/8", 4 1/8", and 5 1/8".


Once again I flipped my trimmer upside down so I could see what I was doing. With the card still folded I lined up my marks in the groove of my trimming mat. From the 1 1/2" mark on my cutting arm I cut down and through both sides of the cardstock.


This is what it will look like flattened when you're done cutting your 1 1/2" marks. I fluffed mine so you could see it better. (You'll also see that I had skipped a mark, but when I saw that I went back and marked it off then cut through it.)


Go back to your score board and flatten it out. You want to score along the 1" blocks so that it will fold. Those score marks line up at 5 1/2" and 8 1/2"

My camera decided to go wonky and not write any of the next few pictures to the memory card, but basically you just push the skinny cut lines to the back and the pop the blocks forward. Fold it flat and take your bone folder and burnish each side.
The blocks are 1 x 1 1/2", for layering, easier folding, you will want to cut them to 7/8" x 1 3/8". If you wish to layer another piece of cardstock on the far right panel, the measurements would be 1 7/8 x 5 3/8". For the blocks any 3 or 4 letter word will work. I used a 1" circle punch here.

Here's what my card looks like completed.




I hope you like my card. If you want to send Ella May, the little girl who is having the surgery on 09/18/2014, please leave a comment on how I can send you the address.

Thanks for stopping by, Crafters! See you on Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment