Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Swing Card

Hiya, Crafters! I hope everyone is doing well today. It's just your average day for me here. By average I mean awesome. =) Today I am going to show you how to do a swing card. It's like those cards you've seen on Pinterest that require the die; but without the die!! Woohoo! Here's the tutorial that I followed with a video. Here's what I came up with.


Here's what you'll need:
  • Cardstock cut to 5 1/2 x 6 3/4" for the base.
  • (2) pieces of coordinating cardstock cut to 2 3/4 x 3 3/4 for the first inside layer.
  • (2) pieces of cardstock cut to  2 1/2 x 3 1/2 for the center.
  • Paper trimmer
  • Scoring tool
  • Bone folder
  • Stamping tools
Let's get started! Line your cardstock longways on your paper trimmer. I flipped mine upside down so it was easier for me to see what exactly I was doing. Move your cardstock to the the 2 3/4" line and taking your scoring tool or bone folder and score from 0" to 1 1/4". Without moving the cardstock move your score tool further up to 4 1/4" and score to 5 1/2".
Then move your cardstock to the 4" line and repeat.


It should look something like this. If you squint you should be able to see the score marks!


Without taking your cardstock off of your trimmer slide it over to the 1 1/4" line on your trimmer. Take your cutting blade and drop it down at the 1 1/4" score line and cut to the 4 1/4" mark. Then slide your cardstock to the 5 1/2" line on your trimmer and repeat. 


Rotate your cardstock 90 degrees and line it up with the 1 1/4" line and cut from the 1 1/4" to 2 3/4" to connect the score lines. You'll need to lift your cutting blade and repeat on the 2nd score line to 5 1/2". Flip your cardstock and repeat.



Next is for decorating. You can either measure the panels to adhere designer paper. Whatever floats your boat. I took a 3 x 4 1/4" piece of scrap paper and used washi tape to hold it down in the center. Then I inked up one of my large background stamps and went to town.


For the swinging bit of the card it can get a little confusing as to what is the front and what is the back. Basically what you want on the back of your card you put on the front swinging panel and vice versa. You'll see what I mean later. So take your 2 3/4 x 3 3/4" cardstock and tape them to the center front and back.


Next I folded the left hand side in a mountain fold and the right hand side in a valley fold at the score marks. It looked like this.


After this you will want to decorate your 2 1/2 x 3 1/2" cardstock. Leave room on one of the pieces for your written message. Here, I folded the card up as how it would fit in the envelope and decorated it with a flower. I made the flower using the mosaic madness stamp set and corrdinating punch. I punched two out in green for the leaves, and five out for the petals. Then I picked one of the smaller ones and cut it out to make the center. When you pull the card apart, the panel will swing and then you have the panel where you wrote your message on top. 

Here's the front when it's fully open.

And the back of the card when it's fully opened.


There you have it! I'm glad I came across this tutorial because I was getting a little jealous of all those cards made with those circle or label card dies. I have to stamp on a budget! I hope you liked it. Let me know what you think in the comments below. Thanks for popping by, Crafters. See ya soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment