Thursday, July 3, 2014

Dresser Shaped Card

Hiya, Crafters! I hope everyone is doing well today. Myself, I don't feel so well and I thought that perhaps doing a card would perk me up. I have seen on Pinterest in the past of the dresser with a cabinet doors card and thought that they were absolutely adorable and wanted to take a stab at it myself. I found a picture tutorial here. Sadly, I didn't take too many pictures while I assembled my card and I hope you can forgive me.


Here's what you'll need:
  • Cardstock cut to 5 1/2 x 8" scored at 4".
  • Scraps in the same color
  • Brads
  • Paper piercing tool
  • Paper trimmer
  • Sponges (optional)
  • Doily (optional)
  • Square punch
  • Stamping, embossing, and die cutting tools.
  • Good eyeballs.
I'm going to start off right away that there are no measurements. I only gave you the size I used, and for once thought smaller was better. I had to eyeball everything. It's not as hard as I thought it would be. But I did write down measurements for my drawers so it would be easier for me. So just find a size you like for this and go.

First, I needed to make the legs. I picked a die that had some curves and points and went with it. You'll want to fold your card in half so that when you cut the void out of your legs it will emboss on the other side of the card so you can line it up.


Next, I cut a panel to go behind the drawers and cabinet. Then I cut two strips of cardstock and another two to layer them. Those are my drawers.  For the cabinet you'll want to make it a larger and thicker. For example: Your drawers are three inches long, make the cabinet about 4 inches long. This way you can make a hinge. The easiest way to do this is to center your drawer in that panel and fold the sides over. Then I cut two pieces of white cardstock the same length of the drawers with the same thickness as the cabinet. Stamp one with what you want in the cabinet. I chose a tea pot and tea bags. I used a bright blue, but I stamped off first to get a shade lighter for my tea pot. Sponge the edges of your cardstock to give depth if you like.

Then I took my postage stamp punch and punched out two squares. (I did have normal square dies but I didn't want to get out of my chair.) I cut it in half and I taped the tabs and adhered it to the stamped piece of white cardstock. I embossed the other piece that will be acting as the windows through the squares. (I should have just got out of my chair in the first place.) Then I stamped the plain white cardstock.

Pierce the cardstock to slip your brads through so that they look like handles. I actually don't have an official paper piercer. I'm using a Hello Kitty pumpkin piercer from a pumpkin carving kit from last fall. It works great. Before you glue the top layer of your drawers on, I snipped bits of a doily and sponged ink on it so they could over spill from the drawer. 

Ribbon can be used as well to give a different texture if you like. Once you've added all that you like to your drawers and cabinets all that's left if to assemble the card. There you go! You've made quite the cute card to gift to someone. 


Please let me know if I need to make something more clear in the comments below. Thanks for popping by, Crafters. See ya soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment