Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Braided Card

Hiya, Crafters! Thanks for visiting. Today I am going to show you how to make a braided,, or lattice edge, card. I've seen these pop up on Pinterest and they have caught my eye. And rightly so! There are two ways to get the braid on the edge. There's a template that you can download and print out. This template requires that you attach it to your card and cut through it. Or there is also a tutorial that I followed which gives you measurements, but you'll need a diagonal scoring plate. This is a fun technique!


Here's what you'll need to make this card:
  • cardstock cut to your preferred size for the base of your card. I used 6 1/2 x 10"
  • Scoring board and diagonal plate with scoring tool
  • Scissors
  • Ruler
  • Glue
  • Paper trimmer
  • Any stamps or machines needed to finish the card
Let's get started! Take your card base and fold it in half. With the crease against the edge of your scoreboard measure out the lines. First, let me explain that every other line will be of varied lengths every 3/8" along the way. Start at 1/8". You will score these marks 3/4" long and 1/2" long. I'm using the simply score board from stampin' up which only goes as high as an eighth of an inch. So on these boards count every three marks will be a score line. To get this desiered effect, you will want to start with the 3/4" length marks first. To ready your board, start at 1/8" and count out 6 marks and place another marker. Do this all along the edge of your cards. With your ruler butted against the 3/4" mark on the side, score from each marker down to the ruler.


Next, move your marker back three slots but remember to count the slot it was already in as one. Then move your ruler up to 1/2" mark on the side and score from your markers down to your rulers. I certainly did not have enough markers and used toothpicks instead. You'll have something that will look like this. Hopefully with not as many Oops as me, but it doesn't effect it much.


Now you will need your scissors and make slits along the score lines. You'll want to cut out the first "chevron" and set it aside, do not discard.


Here is where you fold back every other chevron. You can opt to either tuck the points into the other point, or leave it out. I tucked them in.

Now we need that bit you cut out and glue it into the gap - mine is at the bottom.
 This is where I noticed I had an extra bit up at the top. It was useless to the design and I didn't care the look of it, so I snipped it off. Depending on the size of your card base, you may or may not have one.


All that's left is to fold along your original score line in the middle and decorate! Here's what mine looks like plain.


The dies I used for this card are Spellbinders Ironworks Accents. To be honest, these are the first dies I got with my cuttlebug. I have an awesome family so they were all gifts. These dies intimidated me! I didn't know what to do with them because all the accents and flourishes were so skinny, I wasn't sure how to glue them down. Silly me. I'm glad I went back to them. They are really pretty. Do you have anything like that in your craft space? I hope you enjoyed it! Thanks for popping over, Crafters! See ya soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment