Monday, July 28, 2014

Deepest Sympathy

Hiya, Crafters! Thanks for visiting. I hope everyone had a great weekend. Mine was pretty low-key. My husband played Destiny Beta all weekend and I was able to write some more in my book. For today's make I had to make a sympathy card. In my opinion, these are the hardest to make. I wanted to do a northern lights technique that I've had success with in the past. It's a lot of fun if you don't mind having inky fingers for a day or two. You can follow a tutorial here, but it's really simple. Here is my take. I didn't want to go too over the top with embellishments. I am not sure if I am satisfied with this yet.

Here's what you'll need to make this card:
  • Cardstock cut to 6 1/2 x 10"
  • Outside and inside layer 4 3/4 x 6 1/4"
  • Die cut in a shape you like.
  • Ink ranging from light to dark
  • StazOn Ink
  • Sponges
  • White gel pen
  • Stamping and die cutting tools
Let's get started. Cut out your shape and put some plain paper on your desk because it could bleed through. Start with your lightest color first, in my case yellow and smudge a few shapes and squiggles randomly over your shape. 

Take your next darker color color and smudge next to the yellow. I used green, this time. I normally don't because blue and yellow make green. 


Next I took my blue and smudges along the other colors as well. I also lightly brushed over the yellow to get a different shade of green.



After that I took my purple and colored the remaining white that was left over. I also lightly brushed it over the yellow to get orange and blue for another shade of purple.

Looks a little crazy,. huh? This is where you need your black ink, not stazon. I normally use Night of Navy, but it just wasn't giving me the effect I was looking for. So with a sponge and black ink, I shimmied it over the area randomly. I did darker smudges over the blue.

Then just brush the black ink against the edges to make it pop more.

Now you need to ink up a stamp with StazOn. You can use anything you find appropriate. I had a long stamp of wild flowers. I don't have an acrylic block big enough so I had to improvise using a clear stamp case.

Lastly, I used my gel pen to simulate stars. You can put in as many or as little as you like.



I have to say this was a little frustrating because I was using Night of Navy and it just wasn't working right. I did three goes first before I came up with this one. Ben will have the final say. I might just do something all together.

I also do this type in stripes. Here's what that looks like using night of navy:


Here are the colors that I used lightest to darkest:

  • Daffodil Delight
  • Lucky Limeade
  • Tempting Turquoise
  • Rich Razzleberry
  • Basic Black
Thanks for stopping by. Crafters. I'll see ya soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment