Friday, July 11, 2014

Seasonal Wreaths

Hiya, Crafters! I hope everyone is having a great Friday. It's rainy and cool here. I heard on the radio on my way to the post office that Iowa averaged about 10 inches of rain for the month of June. About the wettest we've been in roughly 140 years. How crazy is that? I think the rain is affecting my craftiness as I just can't seem to get into the mood to do anything today. You'd think I would since I went to Joann Fabrics. I needed paper. And I walked out with a magazine, punches, sponges, and more paper than I had intended to get. At least it was all on sale! Any who, I've been meaning to talk about wreaths since I started this blog. You see so many cute ideas on Pinterest, like with the insulating foam or the pool noodles. They always droop for me. Or that time I found hot glue does not keep things in its place and my dollar store Halloween wreath lost its skulls. Then I saw this pin and it looked practically fail proof.  It's super easy and it doesn't take up much time at all. Especially when you don't treat every wrap as it has to be absolutely perfect.
Here's what you'll need:
  • 2 skeins of fun fur.
  • wreath mold. (I got mine at Joanns)
  • embellishments.
  • Corsage pins no longer than 1 1/2" long
  • Duck tape. (Duct tape isn't necessary.) 
  • Wide coordinating ribbon
Let's get started! Collect your items and get nice and comfy. You may want to get something to drink and keep it close by with your chocolate and something to check the Internet with. Also sitting in front of a TV helps passing the time. If you have cats, get a few toys to toss to get them away from the fun fur because it's irresistible to them. Who can blame them? It's FUN FUR!

Clamp the wreath between your thighs. =P It helped to keep it steady for me. Tape one end of the fun fur down and start looping it through the wreath. Every few passes you'll want to cinch the fur together to make it tight. As you go, you will need to rotate the wreath of course.

When you're halfway through you should need to tape off this skein of fur and start the next skein. Poke your head through it and make funny noises at your pet or significant other. I might just be a silly goose.

On some of these wreaths the fur knotted. I was able to pick the knot and then I wrapped the remaining fur around something to keep it in check. When you reach the end of the surface that needs to be covered, wrap it around a few more times, leave a loop large enough to pass the remaining yarn through to make a knot. We won't be using tape here. When you're satisfied you have enough knots, fluff the fur, flex your hands, and drink a beer. Or a glass of wine. You should have something that looks like this.
It's so fluffy!! Next take your embellishments and corsage pins and arrange it however you like. If you picked up any chain type ribbon for the embellishment, snip them apart. Some pins have colored pin heads. Just be certain you don't get any too long or it will poke through the other side. Ouch. =(  I went all over the place for my decorations from Michaels, to Joanns, and even Dollar Tree and found cute snowflakes! Attach your ribbon as long as you like and you are finished. Here are mine the rest of mine.(It was too cold to take a picture of my winter wreath when it was in season. I don't think you can blame me for not wanted to stand out in a polar vortex.) I only did three since I couldn't think of a way to distinguish between Spring and Summer.

 
Added bonus tip!! Take one of those command strip hangers and stick it on upside down on the inside of your door and hang your wreath from it.


That's it! If you have any ideas for a summer wreath let me know in the comments below! Thanks for popping by, Crafters! See you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment