Monday, September 15, 2014

Wiper Card Tutorial

Hiya, Crafters! I hope everyone had a good weekend. Ours was relaxing and uneventful. It was great! Today I am going to show you how to do this wiper card. It has a flap that pops up when you fully open the card! I made this card around the brads since I never have been able to use them before. 

Here's what you'll need to make this card:
  • Two pieces of cardstock cut to 4 1/4 x 8 1/2" for the base of your card.
  • 1 1/2 x 3" piece of cardstock
  • Coordinating paper
  • Trimmer
  • Scoring tool
  • Ruler
  • Pencil
  • Stamping and die cutting tools to finish the card
Let's get started! On both pieces of your base card score at 1 1/2" and 3" and fold your score lines in a mountain valley fold. Ensure your peak is near the largest panel.

Set these aside and with your pencil mark 1 1/2" longways on your 1 1/2 x 3" piece of cardstock.
Next we need to score diagonally but only 1 1/2" long. I lined the pencil mark and point of cardstock diagonally along my cutting mat and scored. (Alternatively, if you like you can pierce the paper on half the paper to make it easier for you to find the 1 1/2" mark to score to.) Then fold your score line. This is your wiper.
Now you'll want to adhere what it is that you want to decorate your wiper. Make sure that it does not hang over the sides or the scored line or it will show when the card is closed. Then add adhesive to the bottom triangle of your wiper.
After that we will adhere this to one of your base pieces of cardstock. With the score lines on your right, adhere the wiper to your card. You'll want to make sure that it's in between the score lines closest to the large panel. Keep the top of the diagonal score line even with the top of the base piece of cardstock. You'll want to ensure that the bottom left corner is also the scored.
Then, since I don't have any score tape, I added adhesive just to the right edge and lined the other base cardstock over it. Make sure that the score lines are on your left. Once you have that adhered, do the left. When you're adhering the back of the base, it'll look like the wiper is folded wrong, or taped in wrong, just let it be. Once you have the bases taped together, it all comes into place. You'll have something that looks like this:

I burnished the creases with my bone folder and then decorated! Here are the measurements I used:
  • 4 x 5 1/4" in the blue patterned paper
  • Used the largest scalloped rectangle I had in green
  • 3 1/2 x 2 7/8" in brown
  • 3 3/8 x 2 3/4" in white
  • The side panels are 4 x 1 1/4"
  • For the border, I only cut the patterned paper by 4 x 1 and taped the punched paper under it to give it the full width.
 
I really like those brads and I thought they went great with that stamp set. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of it, but I think they are from Hampton Arts or something similar.

Have you ever made a card around an accessory before? It's pretty amazing what comes out from them. I hope you enjoyed today's tutorial. Have fun with this one. Thanks for popping, Crafters! I'll see ya soon.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment