Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Double Zig Zag Card Tutorial

Hiya, Crafters! Happy Wednesday!! Today my in laws fly back to California. It was so fun to visit with them. I am looking forward to seeing them again next year already! So today, since I have the time to sit down and plan, I decided to tackle to double zig zag; you can find the tutorial here. It is in a different language, but it is translated in blue. I have been putting it off. Mainly because cutting angles intimidate me. Yes, they really do. But today, I had an epiphany and I will help you with this.

Here's what you'll need to make this card:
  • Two pieces of cardstock cut to 6 x 10" for the base of your card
  • Patterned paper
  • Trimmer
  • Bone folder / scoring tool
  • Border punch / die
  • Ruler
  • Sponges (optional)
  • Stamping tools to finish the card
Let's get started! On both pieces of your base paper score at 4", 6", and 8". In the end you will flip this so that both 4" panels will rest on top of each other. (They're scored, I promise.)
Now it's time to cut the angles. You'll want to start 2 1/4" from the bottom, and end 1/4" from the score line next to the 4" panel. What I did was line up that score line at the 1/4" mark on my trimmer and notched the top with my scoring tool.




 Then I flipped the paper longways, with the 4" panel up at the top, I lined the paper at 2 1/4" and notched the bottom of it.



 Next I moved the paper so that both notches I made with my scoring tool were lined up on the cutting mat and cut my paper. On this paper, I marked them with black ink so you would have a better visual - you might need to enlarge the picture.
Repeat this process on the other piece of your base cardstock. Thankfully you don't need to do anything different as flipping it over gives you exactly what you need for the base of the double zig zag card.


I still haven't folded my score lines because I still need to put it through my border punch. I don't want the creases messing up my punching. If you can, flip your punch upside down and line the top corner/angle in your punch.



 Then be sure to keep the edge of your card against the edge of the punch and just punch it along the cardstock. Repeat on the other piece. You'll have something that looks like this.
I still haven't folded my score lines yet, but I want to cut a flap in the middle of the 4" panel. I did this only on the right piece. It can be as large or as small as you like the panel, just keep 3/4" from the sides. Score at the top to connect the cut lines.



 After that I got out my sponges and sponged ink on every single score line and edge front and back. Then I folded along my score lines. Do a mountain/valley fold with the front and back folds in. You'll have something like this:



 All that's left is to decorate your panels! Each panel is 2" wide, I decided to do 1 3/4". Then I held the paper up to the panel I was going to decorate and notched the paper with my nail and then cut them, using the same method as before for angles. Once I had one set of angled panels, I used them as a template and just lined it up against the other piece of paper and notching them with my nails. TIP: When you want to do the panels on the back of your base card using the front panels, flip the front panels over. Mine patterned paper is one sided. So I had the white back facing me while the paper I was measuring had the patterned paper facing me. Also, back right is the correct template for front left and vice versa. You'll have something that looks like this:


 So my inside flap needs to be decorated! I had a bit of paper punched on the border so I decided to use that as a stencil and sponged ink through the punched negative.

For the belly band I cut a piece of paper 9 1/4" x 2". I used the same border punch for the sides and sponged ink all over it. Then I folded it around the card and taped it together so it slides off and on easily.




That's it. I hope you enjoyed today's tutorial. I also hope, if you were like me and intimidated by angles, that this has helped you out for all your card making endeavors! Take your time with this one and you won't be disappointed. Thanks for popping by, Crafters! See ya soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment