Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Crafty Basket

Hiya, Crafters! Thanks for coming by. I hope everyone is doing well. In case if you were wondering why I was not posting, it's because I had been out of state for a few days for a funeral. Ben and I drove from the middle of Iowa to Northern California in just two days; then repeated the trek back home. We're still a little tired from all of the driving. Of course while we were gone, we needed someone to look over our furbabies! Our neighbor was kind enough to come over every day to feed them and take care of their needs. To thank her, I made her the waterfall card in my previous post, and I made her blueberry muffins. Since I didn't want to put them in Tupperware, or a bag, I made a crafty basket using only my envelope punch board! You can watch the video here. It's super easy!





Here's what you'll need to make this basket:
  • 12 x 12" cardstock for the base of the basket
  • Coordinating cardstock for handle
  • Envelope punch board
  • Bone Folder
  • Liquid glue
  • Permanent double sided tape, the stronger the better
  • Scissors
  • Ribbon (optional)
  • Muffins
  • Plastic Wrap 
Let's get started! With your envelope punch board and your paper, line a corner up at the 2" mark, punch, and score. You will not be able to score the entire length of the paper. That's OK. Do this on all four sides of your paper.

Once you've punched and scored all four sides, flip your paper and repeat the process at the 2" mark, punch, and score. This time you should complete your previous score lines.


At the end, you should have something that looks like this:

Next you will need to line up the groove of the corners against the score line on your punch board. Do not punch! We're only scoring the flaps here. Do this on all the corners.


Now pick one of the corners and cut slits to the intersecting lines. I cut a small sliver of the card out so that it's easily folded. You will do this on the opposite side as well. Don't do it on all corners or you won't have sides to your basket.





Fold all your score lines. You'll have something that looks like this:




Next you'll need to run your tape over the corners of the large flaps and bring them together. Be mindful of where you put your tape, you will have to flip it over to put tape on the other side of the flap so they stick together. When you are lining your flaps together, aim for clean lines and keep the skinny flap on the outside. Do this on both sides.




It'll look something like this from above:

Take your liquid glue and spread it on the skinny flaps your left out, and the flaps on either side. Again, we have to be mindful of where we rub the glue on as there are triangles and the glue will be exposed.




Lift the flaps up and rub it against the sides.

Here you will just fold over the cardstock, it won't be at the score line. Do this on both sides.

Then all you need to do is fold over the side flaps, at the score line and give the basket some time to dry.





Next, I wanted a sturdy handle, so I cut a 2 x 11" strip of coordinating cardstock and glued it to the flaps the I folded over. Then I cut a 1 x 10" piece in a different color and glued it over the handle for contrast. To make it pretty, I tied some bows around the handle in coordinating ribbon. This also hid lines where cards were meeting.

The hardest part of this project were making the muffins lol! I lined the basket in plastic wrap and placed the muffins in. I was able to squeeze in 6 muffins as long as I stacked them. You could probably get 7, maybe 8 in here all together, but I can't be certain the handle won't break off so hold the bottom.

This basket can be made with any size paper. In the video, she used 8 x 8", but the same 2" punch and score marks. You can also change that too as long as you keep it consistent it will work.

Here's a rainbow in Wyoming and a super moon in Nebraska.



I hope you enjoyed today's tutorial on making a versatile, and super easy basket! Thanks for popping over, Crafters! See ya soon! (I promise!)

No comments:

Post a Comment