Friday, June 20, 2014

Stair Step Card

Hiya, Crafters! Thanks for popping over to see me. A friend of mine recently had her first baby and I was inspired by this card for her. Luckily I already had the stamp set and coordinating dies. It was meant to be, right? Today I will show you how to make a stair step card.



Here is what you'll need:
  • Cardstock cut to 4 1/2 x 12" for your base of any color.
  • Cardstock to match base cut to 4 1/2 x 1" (Don't cut this bit just yet.)
  • Cardstock of your choice cut to 4 3/8 x 1 3/8"
  • 15 pieces of cardstock cut to 1 3/8 x 1 3/8" of any color or multiple colors.
  • As many pieces as you wish cut to 1 1/4 x 1 1/4".
  • Paper trimmer
  • Something to score with
  • Scissors
  • Glue
To get started you will want to score the base of your card at 1 1/2", 3", 4 1/2", 6", 7 1/2", 9", & 10 1/2".  Rotate your cardstock 180 degrees and score at 1 1/2" & 3".

Place your paper in front of  you. You'll have a checker board of 1 1/2 x 1 1/2" squares. From the top left count out to three squares. On that third square mark it, mark the one next to it, and the next after that. The middle center square under those top three need to be marked as well. If you play Tetris, you'll recognize the shape!

You will want to cut that out with scissors and toss it. Next I snipped the paper to create flaps which will later be your stairs. Only fold those flaps and the center bottom one. For now, we're ignoring the 10 1/2" score.

Don't fold the other score lines as it will make your card tend to bend more. The only reason why I know this is because I did a template first before using my nicer cardstock. Now you're ready to start building the stairs. Simply roll your tape on one side and adhere the other side to it. I did this to both sets of flaps. This is the top of your card!

Because the bottom of your card does not have an overlap, I had to create a hinge. I took a piece of 4 1/2 x 3" paper. This you will later trim down to 4 1/2 x 1", but you will want to score it first because it gets tricky to score something at a 1/2" when it's only an inch wide. After you've scored it and trimmed it down to 4 1/2 x 1" glue one side with the crease facing out. Then you'll line up the opposite side and adhere that to the other side of the hinge.



There you go! You now have a base of card to decorate as desired. I went ahead and did the baby block thing. There are 15 squares that need decorating and the bottom as well. Always do a dry run because I changed my mind a few times after placing the paper down. Especially if you have cute distractions like my cat Ginger.



Decorate as you like. You can put big, 3D decorations, bakers twine, bling, anything you like! The bottom of the card, where you stuck the 4 3/8 x 1 3/8" is where I signed the card. You can sign it anywhere you like. The back will be open. I chose to put my "signature" there. You can also stick a little gift back there, like a gift card or maybe roll a onesie or cap tight and fit it in.

This card does lay flat to mail. It's a 4 1/2 x 6" card. If you have the envelope punch board, I would use the 4 1/2 x 6 1/2" card size to make your envelope as the other was too snug for my liking.





And that's it! Once you get the hang of it this will be an easy and quickly made card. I hope you have fun with it! Thanks for stopping by, Crafters! See ya soon.
Please let me know what you think in comments below.

Supplies used:


  • Something for baby stamp set and coordinating dies.
  • Stampin' Up! trimmer board
  • Ink - Pool Party, Daffodil Delight, and Lucky Limeade.
  • Cardstock purchased at Michaels.
I want to stress that I am not a Stampin'Up! demonstrator, I just use their products.

No comments:

Post a Comment