Monday, November 24, 2014

Book Tutorial

Hiya Crafters! I hope everyone is staying warm and safe. I am having a hard time remembering when it was this cold before Thanksgiving. This Thanksgiving my husband and I are visiting my parents in Illinois. Because I live in a different state we're also celebrating Christmas. One of my nieces asked for an amazon gift card so she could buy books. I knew I had to make this "book" to hold the gift card! It fit perfectly. I saw a friend of mine post her creation in a group that we both belong in and I demanded that she make a tutorial for me. It worked out great! =)
Here's what you'll need to make this project:
  • (2) pieces of cardstock measuring at 3 x 8"
  • (2) pieces of cardstock measuring at 4 1/2 x 8"
  • cardstock cut to 3/4" x 4 1/2"
  • Designer paper cut to 3 x 4 1/2"
  • Coordinating paper cut to 7 1/4 x 4 3/4"
  • Scoring tool
  • Permanent tape
  • Trimmer
  • Stamping and scrapping tools needed to finish the project.
Let's get started! On all four pieces of cardstock you will need to score every 1/2" long ways.

 Next you will fold along those scored lines in the mountain valley fold.
What we are going to do next is interlock each piece to make the frame of book pages. You'll take the 3 x 8" and attach to the 4 1/2 x 8" piece and repeat. 
So what I did here is place some glue and lined up the edge of my long piece to the score lines. I placed glue on that "square" again and folded down the short piece.
It's a long process of weaving the mountains into the folds, but you want to do it bit by bit. I do not recommend liquid glue for this step. Here's what it will look like when it's done.
You'll then attach the shorter piece to the bottom. We are making a frame here.


I'm terribly sorry, but I was so caught up in attaching the last long piece to the two shorter pieces that I did not take a picture of the process. It is the most difficult one but it is OK to flatten out the piece you are attaching because you are merely going to fold it again onto the glue. I would do both ends at once though because it will be really hard to get your tape dispenser in there with the top or bottom glued together.

So I have to admit I'm a bit rushed in doing this. My birthday present was released last week and it was Dragon Age: Inquisition. I really, really, really, really love playing that game. I want to play it so badly right now that I skipped picture steps. But I'll tell you what I did!

The next step is applying the 3 x 4 1/2" designer paper to the frame. It doesn't matter which side. I used double sided tape for this. After that  you'll want to attach the 3/4 x 4 1/2" piece of cardstock to one of the long sides. This will be the spine of the book where you hold the binding together. If your designer paper has a right side up, make sure you place the "spine" that coordinates with it. I did use both double sided tape and liquid glue for that.

Now to make the front and back cover. Take the 7 1/4 x 4 3/4" paper and score at 4" and 3 1/4". I know the tutorial says different, but I ind this works better for me. If you have any decorating to the front of the paged frame or the cover do it before you attach it. You'll be attaching the cover to the spine only, don't glue the back or the front down.

Would you like to make a box? Do you have an envelope punch board? Great! You'll need an 8 x 8" piece of paper. On your punch board, line the paper up at 2 3/4", punch and score. Then on the same edge line it at 4 1/8", punch and score. Then treat it as you normally would on the rest of the sides.

Not pictured (I really want to play my game. No one expects the Ferelden Inquisition![Or should that be Thedas Inquisition instead?]) is that I snipped the edges of the flaps so I had something to glue the bottom to. I cut them completely off at the top. Here's what I have left to show you.

And the gift card fits so nicely in here!
While time consuming, it is awesome. Any book lover will love to get this. Take your time with it. If you're rushing so you can play a game, you might have a few mistakes and it will only take you that much longer to get to your fabulous game. 8/10 stars from me! (It will probably get a higher rating when I've finished it and played through it again and again like I did Dragon Age: Origins.)

If you were on the fence to get this game because DA2 broke your heart like it did mine, do it. It is SO much better. It's HUGE! Yeah, there are a lot of references to that game that I don't want to think of, but you can get past it. I did. (I did mention I like video games, I'm sure of it.)

Thanks for popping by, Crafters! I'll probably have more to post tomorrow and Wednesday. Wednesday is not looking good for me to play my game. See ya soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment