Monday, October 13, 2014

View Master Card Tutorial

Hiya, Crafters! Happy Monday everyone!! I apologize for not posting last week. I had a cold, the remnants are still getting me today, and I just couldn't get into crafting. I also didn't want to send a cold. But I do have something for you today that I can finally post! Yesterday was my one year wedding anniversary!! It's amazing how fast time went by! I love him so much. I wanted to make him an interactive card, and one not too girly either. I found this tutorial a while ago and thought this was the perfect occasion to try it! I toned down the girly bit because I made him hang it up at his office at work. When you spin the view finder, it comes out to say I freakin' love you! and then the wedding date. I also used our wedding colors. The TARDIS is a reference to our honeymoon. The nice thing about this card is that you can change the measurements to suit your needs easily.
Here's what you'll need to make this card:
  • Cardstock cut to 6 1/2 x 10" scored at 5".
  • Coordinating cardstock cut to 4 3/4 x 6 1/4"
  • Coordinating cardstock cut to 4 5/8 x 6 1/8"
  • Trimmer
  • Copy paper (or lined paper, whatever you have on hand)
  • White cardstock
  • 4 1/4" circle die (Or whatever will easily rotate in your card)
  • 1 1/4" circle die (or what you have on hand)
  • 1 5/8" circle die
  • 1" punch
  • 1/8" punch
  • Brad
  • 3D foam stickers
  • Low tack tape
  • Stamping and die cutting tools needed to finish the card
Let's get started! Cut out two 4 1/4" circles in your white cardstock and copy paper. The copy paper is going to be a guide for you. If you are going with smaller measurements, just make sure that your circle can spin easily inside your card. On the copy paper, I folded it in half, then folded it in half again, making pie wedges. I did use a straight edge and drew in the lines, I did it so I could see where I would be punching out my notches. You should have 8 wedges.
Next I attached the copy paper  to the other circle in my cardstock with low tack tape holding it in place in the middle. I used washi tape. With my 1/8" punch, I slid the combined pieces in and lined up the edge of the line through the teeny tiny hole. I did my best to only punch on the edge to create the notches.
After that I punched again between the notches, but without my copy paper guide. You'll have something like this:
Not it's time to cut the circles out of our coordinating cardstock.  I cut a 1 1/4" circle out of scrap from the bottom 4 3/4" x 6 1/4" layer. Then I cut a 1 5/8" circle from the top layer. I want to say that these are the only circles I have. The less of a gap between these circles the better it will look. So if you happen to have a 1 3/8" and 1 1/4" punch, use those! But you also need to make do with what you have. I almost forgot! On your 4 1/4" circle, place a dot in the center so you can easily find where you need to pierce your brad through.
What I did here is layer the purple square with the hole under the blue panel. I also cut a half circle out of each layer so that the circle edge sticks out and that it is accessible to spin.
 You'll also want to figure out where you'll be placing the brad through the blue layer. I lined up my circle and made an indentation in the cardstock, then pierced the paper. Once you have the brad through your top layer, flip it over and slide your circle onto the back.
Now it's time to stamp through the circle and onto the white cardstock. I created a mask using the smallest circle I had and taped it onto my card using washi tape. I will say that I had a stamp-a-ma-jig that I used to help me line up exactly where I wanted to stamp. If you have acetate, that will work as well. I also had to tape off parts of my stamp because it was too big to fit through the circle. So each time I stamped, I spun the circle, taped off a different part, and stamped again.

 Once you've stamped out your message, you will assemble the card. Glue your 4 3/4" x 6 1/4" down to your base, then using 3D foam stickers apply the top layer. Use the foam stickers so the white circle can spin.

I would say after making this card that if you're going to do any heat embossing, do it before you punch the brad through the cardstock. 

i hope you enjoyed today's tutorial and that you found some inspiration here. Thanks for popping by, Crafters! I'll see ya soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment